Monday, June 27, 2011

Red, White and Blue Sandwich Cookies

These cookies make me want to light up my sparklers right now!  Aren't they so cute in the "I Love AMeRicA" sort of way!  I saw them on a blog that I love and I had to try them out.  They were really easy to make, because they are made out of cake mixes.  I love to use anything in a box or package. Easy is the way for me.

They turn out really sweet, like a pop cycle.  I think it is because of the jello in them.  Next time I am only going use half of the jello and see if they are not so zippy sweet.  The kids love them though and what can I say, they are so 4th of July certified!



Red, White and Blue Sandwich Cookies
Servings: About 20 Sandwich cookies
Time: 1 1/2 hours
From: Jamie Cooks It Up


Cookies:
2 white cake mixes
2 eggs
1 C. butter
2 T. water
1 small package blueberry jello
1 small package raspberry jello
red food coloring
blue food coloring

Frosting:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C. butter
1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Cookies:
1.  To make the blue dough combine one of the cake mixes with 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 egg, 1 Tablespoon water, blueberry jello (try half if you don't want such a strong sweet flavor to the cookie).

2. Mix thoroughly, then add blue food coloring until you reach desired color.

3.  Make red dough by following the directions in step 1 and 2...just add raspeberry jello and red food coloring.

4.  Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place them on greased cookie sheets.
5.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Watch them closely.  I like to take mine out when the cookies have cracks running along the top.


Frosting:
1.  In a mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese and butter until creamy.

2.  Mix in vanilla, then gradually stir in powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. Sometimes I use less or more sugar.  Depending how thick I want it.

Decoration:

1.  Frost underside of cookie and then add another cookie on top.

2.  Use half of the frosting for the middle and then put other half in a plastic baggie (cutting the corner to decorate) or frosting bag and decorate the tops of the cookies.  You can use candy sprinkles for the top.  Make sure to use the sprinkles before the frosting sets up on the cookies.




No comments:

Post a Comment