Thursday, April 21, 2011

Silk Transfer Easter Eggs

These are some of the coolest eggs I have ever seen. These take a little time to prepare, but so worth it in the end!
Silk Transfer Easter Eggs
From: Brit and Kells
Ties-You need 100% silk to do this. We went to D.I. and bought old ties. If you look on the small end of the tie, it will tell you what it's made of.
White Fabric- You can use an old sheet, pillow case or table cloth.
Rubber Bands
White Vinegar
Glass or Enamel Pot- If you use aluminum it won't transfer as well.
Fill the pot with enough water to completely cover the eggs. Add 1/4 Cup of vinegar and bring to a boil. You want to start with the eggs raw. Cut the inside of the tie out. That way you only have the silk to work with. Cut pieces big enough to wrap around the egg. Make sure the printed side is facing the egg.
When the egg is wrapped. Secure the ends with rubber bands. They will look like "pig tails".
Repeat with the white fabric.
Place in the boiling water and boil for 20 minutes. Use tongs to pull them out. Take one at a time and roll them in a dish towel. Be gentle so the eggs shell doesn't crack. This will help the transfer process. When they are cool enough to handle, unwrap.
"Put that in your back pocket"
-Brit & Kells

4 comments:

  1. I did these last weekend with my girlfriends and they turned out so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used all of my husbands old ties that I was going to take to the DI. They turned out so cool. These eggs will be a new tradition in our household.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister, Kacey introduced me to your blog...Love it! So many great DIY's and recipes!

    We did these silk transfer eggs for Easter and were just amazed, what a fun new tradition! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gretchen, I am glad you enjoyed the eggs and like the blog. We are still working out the kinks, I hope you stay with us! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete