Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chicken Chili

I am a big fan of chili, I love it, when it is good that is.  I won't just eat any old chili.   I have tasted a few great beef chili's in my time, most of them have been at restaurants.  My sisters makes a pretty good ones as well, but as far as chicken chili goes this is hands down the best recipe out there.  I love it!  I first had it at a chili cook-off the my church was having and I was sold.  I had to have the recipe and I have been making it regularly for the past several years.  It is pretty quick and easy as far as chili goes.  This would be a great meal to make before you send your kids off trick or treating.  Maybe make some of this cornbread to go with it! Yummy!

Chicken Chili
From: The Christensen Family
Yields: About 6-8 servings
Time: About 90 minutes
Print Recipe


2-3 chicken breasts 
1 T. Olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 (4oz.) can diced green chilies (I like mild)
1 T. cumin
1 T. oregano
¼ t. cayenne pepper
2 cans (16oz.) white beans (navy or great northerns are fine)
7 C. water
4 chicken bullion cubes
2 C. shredded monterey jack cheese

 In a large pan or stock pot, boil chicken breasts in about 10 cups water until cooked, about 20-30 minutes. Shred or chop chicken, set aside. Reduce the water in pan to 7 cups and reserve in pan for later.

In a medium frying pan saute onion in oil until onions turn translucent. Add green chilis and spices and sauté an additional 2 minutes. 

Bring the reserved water in your stock pot to a simmer and then dissolve the chicken bullion cubes. Add the onion mixture and chopped chicken. Put beans into a colander and drain and rinse with cold water. Add beans to soup. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to med-low and cook for about 30 min or longer, stirring occasionally. When ready to serve, turn the heat up to med-high and add cheese in small increments, stirring after each addition until melted. 

Cooking tip: This is a fairly mild chili,  if you like your chili hotter, just add extra cayenne pepper or use medium or hot green chilies instead of mild.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment