Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Buttermilk Corn Bread

Nothing says fall to me more than a piece of cornbread and a bowl of chili. I love cornbread and I am so excited that fall is here so that I can start making it again, for some reason it seems wrong to make corn bread in the summer. . . So back to my love of corn bread, I love it plain, I love it with homemade jam and I  especially love it slathered with a bunch of honey butter.  I have tried several different recipes, healthy ones and not so healthy ones and they are all good, but this one is hands down the best one.


Buttermilk Cornbread
Adapted from: All Recipes
Yields: 8x8 pan 
Time: 55 minutes

1 stick butter
2/3 C sugar
2 eggs
1 C buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 C cornmeal
1 C flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, lightly grease an 8x8 pan

Melt butter in a large skillet*.  Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.  Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in skillet.  Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and a few lumps remain.  Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

*Melting the butter in the skillet is important, using the microwave to save time will not give you an equal result, trust me on this!




No comments:

Post a Comment