Friday, September 30, 2011

Loaded Baked Potato Soup from Disney Land!

So have you ever eaten at the Carnation Cafe in Disney Land?  Well, I have, several times, in fact, every-time we go to Disney Land, it is our favorite place to eat in the Park.  It is this cute little cafe on Main street where you sit outside on umbrella covered tables and you get someone to wait on you while you sit back and enjoy the scenery.  The first time we ate there I was drawn to the baked potato soup on the menu.  I quickly ordered it and officially declared it as the best soup ever.  Even better than homemade, which is pretty tough in my book.  And every-time since I have ordered it.  The last time we were there, a cute little man wearing chef attire came out and talked to us.  He asked me how I liked the soup.  I told him all about my love affair with it.  He left our table and returned promptly with the recipe!!  I was so excited and thanked him graciously.  Well, it turns out after looking over the recipe, that it isn't a quick and easy one, so be prepared to have this take some time, but it is well worth it.  So good!  This recipe makes a lot so I froze at least half of it.  I totally forgot about it for like 6 months.  I pulled it out of the freezer one day and let it thaw wondering if it would still be good and to my utter astonishment, it was, just as good as the day I made it, six months ago!  I wouldn't recommend freezing it much longer than that. But, just so you know, it does freeze well.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup from Disney Land
From: Carnation Cafe in Disney Land courtesy of chef Joven Tolentino
Yields: 12 servings, at least
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Print Recipe

4 large russet potatoes (peeled and diced small)
4 medium red potatoes (diced small)
2 large stalk celery (diced small)
1 large or 2 small carrots (diced small)
1 medium yellow onion (diced small)
4 tablespoons butter
1 pound bacon chopped (tip: place in freezer for 20-30 min to make it easier to cut)
16 oz chicken or vegetable stock
32 oz heavy whipping cream
4 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt & pepper to taste

Garnish with chives, bacon bits, sour cream and/or cheese

Place a stock pot over medium high heat.  Add vegetable oil, butter, and bacon.  Start cooking the bacon, stirring occasionally, do not allow it to burn.  This will take a while, so while the bacon is cooking, cut up your veggies.

Once bacon gets crispy, remove the bacon from the pan using a slotted spoon, place on a paper towel.

Add onion, carrots, and celery to the bacon fat and cook until onions turn translucent. Add the potatoes and cook for 4 minutes.

Add the flour to make a roux.  Cook roux until blonde in color, about 5-7 minutes, while stirring constantly.  Add chicken or vegetable stock and about 3/4 of the bacon, reserve the rest for garnish.  Season with salt and pepper.

Turn the heat to medium-high and bring soup to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes.

Garnish with bacon and other desired toppings.  Serve in bread bowls.


1 comment:

  1. Yum! This looks good and the bread bowls look yummy and easy too! I'm excited to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete