Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Great 8 Race Car Cake

Growing up, every year my mom would hand make each of us a special birthday cake.  Whatever we could come up with, she would make it for us, including, princess cakes, carousal cakes,  train cakes, etc.  I always felt so special that she would take all that time just for me.  I am trying to carry on that tradition and do the same thing for my kids.  Let's just say I am not as talented as my mom, but I get an A for effort!  My oldest Aiden turned 8 on Sunday and so I made him this cake.  It was hands down the easiest theme cake I have ever made and Aiden loved it!  Even if your child is not turning 8, but loves cars, this will still work.



The Great 8 Race Car Cake
Adapted From: Family Fun
Yields: 16 servings
Time: 45 minutes making the cake 15-30 minutes for decorating
Print Recipe


  • 2 baked 8 or 9-inch round cakes (any flavor)
  • 2 Cups white icing
  • 1 Cup green icing
  • 1-2 Cups finely crushed chocolate cookie crumbs (I used Oreos)
  • Checkered paper or ribbon
  • 4 toothpicks & tape
  • Toy cars washed with soap & water


 Cut a small semicircular notch from one cake, then position the cakes as shown and cover them with the white icing.  Kellie's butter cream will be great on this.

Place a small bowl in the center of each cake and sprinkle cookie crumbs around it to create the track.



Remove the bowls and using a star tip, pipe the green frosting onto each icing circle, making it look like grass. then using a ribbon tip outline the bottom of the cake.   


Create racing flags by taping small squares of the paper or ribbon to the toothpicks and place them on the track along with the race cars. 


Create a birthday banner using the same method as the flags.

No comments:

Post a Comment