I saw these cookies on a back of an M&M bag and just had to make them for Easter, they are so cute and actually really easy to make. I modified them slightly from the original version. These taste a lot like a shortbread cookie on the outside, but soft on the inside, they taste so much better than I anticipated they would. You have to take a bite with the M&M, it is so good, I am kind of addicted! I delivered these to a bunch of my neighbors and they were a hit! My kids also thought they were so fun, a great spring break activity!
Birds Nest Cookies
Prep Time: 25 Min.
Bake Time: 14-16 Min.
Decoration Time: 10 Min.
Yield: Makes about 25 Cookies
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups M&M’S® Brand Speckled Milk Chocolate Eggs
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread coconut on non-greased cookie sheet. Toast in oven, stirring occasionally, until it turns light golden, about 15 -20 minutes.
2. Remove coconut from cookie sheet and set aside.
3. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees. In large bowl, add butter and sugar and whip until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla.
4. In medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Blend into creamed mixture.
5. Scoop dough with a rounded tablespoon and form into a ball. Roll heavily into toasted coconut.
6. Place coconut cookies 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Make indentation with thumb in center of each cookie. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove cookies and cool completely.
8. Fill indentations with M&M’S® Brand Speckled Milk Chocolate Eggs.
I used a little frosting in the center of each cookie to try to hold the M&M’s in place since I was transporting them, but that is optional.
"Put that your back pocket"