Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

My sister-in-law Erica makes the best little snack! When she first made it, I was a little hesitant to try it, it seemed a little strange, I wasn't sure what to expect.  But, being a self proclaimed foody, I had to try it.  Let's just say, I was not disappointed.  This is seriously so delicious, every single thing about it screams eat me!  In fact, I have eaten the salsa with a spoon and the chips just plain!  Erica recently made this for a family party and I had her snap some pictures of it so I could post it on here.  You need to try this out, it is so good, everyone will beg you for the recipe!


Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
From: Erica Parker
Yields: 6 Cups Salsa
Print Recipe


Fruit Salsa
3 Gala apples peeled and cored (I use gala because they are sweeter )
1 pound of strawberries, stems removed 
1 small carton of raspberries
3 kiwis with the skin peeled off
2 tablespoons preserves of any flavor  (I use blackberry)
 1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar depending on how sweet the fruit is.
It is okay to use frozen fruit, if it is not in season, or if it is cheaper that way

Cinnamon and Sugar Chips
3 cups of sugar
Cinnamon to taste (some like more cinnamon some like less)
2 sticks of butter or margarine melted
12 fajita size soft flour tortillas

Salsa Instructions
Use a food chopper or a food processor to cut the fruit into tiny pieces, (you can make it as chunky as you want it to be) put the cut fruit into a bowl, add the preserves and sugar, mix together until the sugar and the preserves are no longer chunky.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Cinnamon and Sugar Chip Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a medium bowl, cut the tortillas into 8 slices (like you would a pizza), melt the butter  in a separate bowl. First dip  the tortilla slices into the butter and then dip the tortilla slices into the cinnamon/sugar mixture, place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  You can fit 32 chips on a cookie sheet . Bake for 10 minutes, let cool for about 5 minutes then place in a bowl or plate. You can either serve them right away or store them up to 5 days.

Servings
Fruit Salsa makes about 6 cups I only use about 2 cups for party’s, and freeze the other 4 cups to use at a later time the salsa can be frozen for up to a year.
Cinnamon sugar chips: I usually make 3 cookie sheets worth per 2 cups of salsa so that is 96 chips. If you don’t want to make the chips you can always by a box of cinnamon graham crackers to use. 






No comments:

Post a Comment